Tamar Arslanian is founder of the popular blog IHAVECAT and author of the book Shop Cats of New York written-up in the New York Times, USA Today and New York Post. Most recently Tamar has recently founded “Flirting With Vegan,” a community and tour company that encourages all foodies to give delicious plant-based cuisine a chance.
Because no one has time for mediocre food.
1. What is the importance of your kitchen in your house?
Well I love to eat so I do spend quite a bit of time there. I live in NYC so by our standards I have a good sized kitchen. In the rest of the United Stated however, it would be considered minuscule.
2. What’s the best part of the day for you to cook?
3. Are you a creative chef or simply love to follow recipes?
I started off following recipes but during COVID I had more time to cook and became more comfortable with “going with my gut” so to speak. It was exciting to know what flavors go together to enhance a dish.
4. Three ingredients that are never missing on your kitchen cabinet?
Olive oil, zataar and salt.
5. How did your passion for cooking come about?
To be honest I would say I have more of a passion for eating well than for cooking, but seeing as I live alone, I have had to learn how to cook! My mom is an excellent self-taught cook so she has taught me to be very discerning when tasting food. She cooks delicious low-fat high flavor dishes from all cuisines and finds using butters and creams the lazy way of making a dish taste delicious. Herbs and other seasonings are her favorite.
6. What’s your favourite dish to cook that you know it can never go wrong with it?
A veggie curry with coconut milk.
7. Would you receive an entire tv crew in your kitchen for a day?
Of course as long as they were a NYC size crew to fit into my NYC size apt!
8. Do you follow any tv show or have a favourite cooking book?
My greatest inspiration comes from all the amazing TikTok chefs who are able to share incredible inspirational meals in 3 minutes or less.